As an experienced wedding and celebration planner, and having worked within the wedding industry for a number of years I have of course dealt with a wide range of suppliers.
Some of these suppliers I have had the pleasure of working with on many occasions, others maybe once or twice and others I have yet to have the opportunity to work with.
Choosing the right suppliers for your celebration is key, as you have to be 100% happy with the professional that you choose. There are certain suppliers that will be essential to planning any wedding or special celebration including, the location; whether it be a venue or marquee. Then of course there is the caterer, florist, photographer, DJ, band and entertainment. Closely followed by the additional ones which may be furniture & toilet hire, someone to create the bespoke invitations, table plan and place cards. And of course there is the cake; most celebrations have a feature cake.
Your supplier list s quite like to grow more than you might expect.
Here are my five ideas for sourcing your essential suppliers are:
- The Internet – how did we ever exist without this? Of course, the internet is going to be the most obvious way to find any supplier and I use it regularly. Type in your key words along with the location and away you go.
- Recommendation – this is a great way to source specific suppliers. Everyone knows someone, who knows someone else, so definitely listen to people’s advice then research them for yourself. Just remember this is your day and just because perhaps a friend used a certain photographer for their event, doesn’t mean that you have to. Look back at one of my previous www.weddingsbymary.co.uk/news/tips-setting-wedding-budget where I suggested that you find a single word to sum up the feeling and style for your wedding, this is the perfect opportunity for you to now recall this word so that you can tie in all your suppliers to ensure that you create the wedding and atmosphere you want.
- Social Media – Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter are possibly the most popular forms of social media and an excellent source to find suppliers. You can see clearly from their Instagram feed if they resonate with the type of wedding or celebration you are planning. Why not follow them for a time to get a feel for their work and to get to know them?
- Wedding Directories & Wedding Magazines – Most brides-to-be upon saying ‘Yes’ will no doubt purchase several glossy wedding magazines to gather inspiration. You therefore may read an article or see a supplier whose work is perfect for your celebration. On-line wedding directories also provide a great opportunity to find specific professionals and services which often come with reviews and ratings.
- Venue Stipulation – You may find your chosen venue stipulates that you use certain suppliers from their recommended list. This can definitely be beneficial as you would hope that they will only wish to select the best so as to not reflect poorly on them, but this will also be a massive time saver as you do not have to do any of the research. However, ensure you are satisfied with their selection of suppliers before signing on the dotted line.
As a wedding planner I have a huge network of other planners to call upon should a client have a specific need or slightly quirky request… wedding planners can source virtually anything and everything!!